Friday, February 21, 2014

Photo Fridays: Mayan Splendor I

 
Temples Xunantunich, Belize. (2013)
 
 
As a kid growing up in Southern California, there was semester of 5th grade that covered the Aztecs, Incas and Mayans. To say I was fascinated is an understatement. I promised myself if I ever was in country that contained ruins of any of these people, I would try to get to see the ruins. Last year I found my in Belize for a wedding. While we were staying off the coast on Ambergris Caye, a 90 minute ferry ride back to the mainland, I convinced a few of my friends to go with me to the temples. We let the owner of the ferry company arrangements. Early one morning the ferry came to collect us. The adventure consisted of the 90 minute ferry ride and then 2 hour car ride across most of Belize to near the Guatemalan border to Xunantunich. During the trip out to the temples my friends looked concern as it was taking longer than I guess they expected. All concern evaporated when we finally made it to the temple complex. To say it was amazing is an understatement. For me it was a highlight of the trip (a close second was swimming with sharks and stingrays). The white stone, in the foreground of the shot, is the ledge of the largest temple in the complex.